- Indian tobacco
- noun1. tobacco plant of South America and Mexico• Syn: ↑wild tobacco, ↑Nicotiana rustica• Hypernyms: ↑tobacco, ↑tobacco plant2. North American wild lobelia having small blue flowers and inflated capsules formerly used as an antispasmodic• Syn: ↑bladderpod, ↑Lobelia inflata• Hypernyms: ↑lobelia
* * *nounUsage: usually capitalized I1. : an American wild lobelia (Lobelia inflata) with small blue flowers and inflated capsules formerly used as an antispasmodic3. : a wild tobacco (Nicotiana rustica)4. : a plant of the genus Antennaria; especially : a common cat's-foot (A. plantaginifolia) of eastern No. America
* * *a common American plant, Lobelia inflata, of the lobelia family, having small, blue flowers and inflated capsules.[1610-20]
* * *Indian tobacco nounAn American flowering plant (Lobelia inflata) with inflated seed pods• • •Main Entry: ↑Indian
* * *Indian tobacco,a North American weed of the lobelia family having small blue flowers and swollen capsules, used in medicine as an emetic and expectorant.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.